Fentham Hall, Hampton-In-Arden
Fentham Hall, Marsh Lane, Solihull, B92 0AH
Trumpet, Tuba, Diapason, Tibia, Clarinet, Oboe, Cello, Violin, Violin Celeste, Flute, Vox Humana + Melotone & Electronic Piano
A Number: 320
Current Transmission System: Sonic Services Setter, Compton Relays
Original Location: Tower Cinema, West Bromwich
Original Opening Date: 9th December 1935
1935: The Tower Cinema, West Bromwich, was opened on 9th December with Leslie Taff at the console.
1965: The Compton was sold to a private buyer who installed it in his home, but he unfortunately died suddenly.
1967: His widow sold the Compton to the COS in and it was installed at Marston Green Maternity Hospital.
1971: On 4th April the Compton was opened by Hubert Selby.
1985: It was decided the space at the Hospital was needed for a health centre, so the Compton had to go.
1989: Agreement was signed with the Governors of St Martin’s School, Solihull to install the Compton.
1992-2002: Following the opening concert, additions were made by way of a large scale Trumpet from the Gaumont Bromley. To avoid confusion, the stop-keys for the original Muted Trumpet, still retained on the organ, have been re-labelled Orchestral Oboe.
2002: The school governors reluctantly announced that they could no longer accommodate the Compton. The search for a venue with long-term commitment ended with the signing of an agreement in January 2002 with the George Fentham Trust.