Organ Museum, St. Albans – 3/10 Wurlitzer
320 Camp Road, St Albans, AL1 5PE
Brass Trumpet, Harmonic Tuba, Diapason, Tibia Clausa, Clarinet, Orchestral Oboe, Violin, Violin Celeste, Concert Flute, Vox Humana + Grand Piano
Opus Number: 2183
Model: Style 220 Sp
Current Transmission System: Sonic Services
Original Location: Empire Cinema, Edmonton, London
Original Opening Date: 28th August 1933
1933: The Empire Edmonton re-opened on the 28th August following a total re-build and modernisation with american organist Don Baker at the Wurlitzer.
1950: On the 11th December the theatre changed name to the Granada.
1969: The Wurlitzer was removed from the theatre between the 2nd and 9th October by Charles Hart.
1969-1974: Construction of the St Albans Organ Theatre.
1974-1992: Bill Walker and Fred Jennings headed the restoration of the Wurlitzer giving it a complete rebuild. This included the construction of four organ chambers (three for the Wurlitzer and one for the Spurden Rutt) The Pipe works had to be completely re-arranged to fit in its new home. (Work halted on the Wurlitzer between 1984-87 while restoration was carried out on the Spurden Rutt) It was during this period the old Wurlitzer relays were sold on and Bill Walker installed his own transmission system but retained the Wurlitzer setter board.
1992: Two opening concerts were held on the 25th July and 15th August with Len Rawle and Bryan Rodwell at the Wurlitzer.