Opera House, Blackpool
97 Church Street, Blackpool, FY1 1HU
Currently no events planned at this venue
Tuba Mirabilis, English Horn, Harmonic Tuba, Diaphonic Diapason, Tibia Clausa, Tibia Plena, Orchestral Oboe, Saxophone, Krumet, Gamba, Solo String (Gamba Celeste), Flute, Vox Humana
Opus Number: 2229
Model: Style Sp 3m
Current Transmission System: Wurlitzer Relays Relays
Original Location: In Situ
Original Opening Date: 24th April 1939
1938: The decision was taken to install a Wurlitzer in the Opera House In Blackpool. Horace Finch was consulted who drew up the specification.
1939: On the 14th June the Wurlitzer was opened with Horace Finch and Reginald Dixon demonstrating.
1947-1956: At some time between these dates the Wurlitzer’s Grand Piano disappeared.
1956: Following the fire at the Tower Ballroom, The Towers Rodgers Tuba Mirabilis and Solo string were swapped for equivalent ranks from the Opera House. The Tuba Mirabilis was a straight swap where as the Rodgers Solo String was swapped with the Operas House’s Gamba Celeste rank.
1989: A production of ‘Cats’ meant the Main Chamber had to be emptied and used as dressing rooms. The contents were promptly returned.
1993: Some work was carried out be Keith Ledson – primarily to get the organ playing for the Blackpool Gang Show.
2000: The Penistone Cinema Organ Trust did some more work on the Wurlitzer.
2007: The Cannock Chase Organ Club headed by Steve Tovey were drafted in to maintain and present the Wurlitzer in frequent concerts.
SOLO CHAMBER – Left of Stage
Glockenspiel, Sleigh Bells, Chimes
MAIN CHAMBER – Right of Stage
Solo String (Gamba Celeste)