New Victoria Centre, Howden-Le-Wear
New Victoria Centre, High Street, Howden-le-Wear, Crook DL15 8EZ
English Horn, Trumpet, Harmonic Tuba, Diaphonic Diapason, Tibia Clausa I, Tibia Clausa II, Clarinet, Kinura, Orchestral Oboe, Saxophone, Krumet, Violin, Violin Celeste, Viol Celeste, Oboe Horn, Concert Flute, Concert Flue Celeste, Vox Humana + Grand Piano
Opus Number: 2116
Model: Style 220 Sp
Current Transmission System: Uniflex
Original Location: New Victoria Cinema, Bradford
Original Opening Date: 22nd September 1930
1930: On 22nd September 1930 the New Victoria theatre, Bradford opened with Leslie James at the Wurlitzer.
c1946: The Vox Humana was replaced with a Rodgers English Horn, the Kinura was replaced with a Krumet and sub and octave couplers were added to the great.
1950: The New Victoria was re-named the Gaumont.
1968: Following the formation of the North East Theatre Organ Association in October, Eric Lee contacted Frank Hare with an interest in purchasing a suitable theatre. The New Victoria Wurlirtzer was available, but had to be removed within two weeks.
1971: In March, after an extensive search for a home for the Wurlitzer, Cornforth’s United Social Club offered space for the installation of the organ in their new club building.
1974: On 21st April the Wurlitzer was opened by Con Docherty, Robbie Ions, Norman Green, Bill Thomas and Ernest Broadbent.
1975: Following a concert by Robinson Cleaver on 12th October problems with access to the hall following a change of club committee necessitated the suspension of concerts and during January 1976 the Wurlitzer was again dismantled and moved to storage.
1976: In March the NETOA were informed the Trinity Methodist Chapel in Howden-le-Wear was for sale.
1977: Following Council approval of our planning application for the change of use of the building the purchase went ahead and on 11th March the NETOA became the first group in Europe to acquire their own premises for the preservation of a theatre pipe organ.
1986: The Wurlitzer reopened in March with Nigel Ogden, Alan Dorward, Norman Green, Robbie Ions, Joe Marsh and Bill Thomas. A Vox Humana was re-instated for the concert.
1992: A Kinura was added, followed by the addition of a Marimba/Harp.
2004-2006: The NETOA applied to the Heritage Lottery Fund and in October they were awarded a grant of £49,800. The plans for total restoration of the Wurlitzer necessitated the complete removal of most of the organ in 2005. The console and chests were sent away for professional restoration. A further 9 ranks were sourced and added at this time. Uniflex was also installed.
2006: In June the wurlitzer was reopened by Simon Gledhill, Richard Hills & Joe Marsh.
2010: Ed & Patti Zollman came across from the U.S.A. in March and spent two weeks tonally adjusting the Wurlitzer.
2019: Balfour-Rowley were bought in to do further tonal adjustments.