‘New Gallery’ Burberry, Regent Street, London
121 Regent Street, Mayfair, London, W1B 4TB
Currently no events planned at this venue
Tuba Horn, Open Diapason, Tibia Clausa, Clarinet, Violin, Violin Celeste, Flute, Vox Humana
Opus Number: 1034
Model: Style F
Current Transmission System: Wurlitzer relays
Original Location: In Situ
Original Opening Date: 12th June 1925
1925: On the 12th June the radically altered and New Gallery Regent Street Cinema opened with Jack Courtney at the Wurlitzer.
1953: Gaumont British Theatres, who by then owned the building, sold the building to the Seventh Day Adventist Church. They retained the theatre as was and the Wurlitzer. However the non-tuned percussions were removed and scrapped, except snare drum. The tuned percussions were also disconnected except Chimes – The Chrysoglot was scrapped.
1908’s: The Cinema Organ Society part maintained the Wurlitzer and re-connected some of the tuned percussions.
1992: The church moved out and the building stood empty and unused.
2006: The building was converted into a Habitat furnishings store. The Wurlitzer underwent full restoration.
2011: On 5th March Richard Hills played the last set at Habitat before it closed.
2012: In September the theatre re-opened as a Burberry clothing store. Unfortunately, the Wurlitzer console has now been stowed away in a small storage space behind the screen and in not used but is regularly maintained.