Leisure Centre, Woking
Leisure Centre, Woking Park, Kingfield Road, Woking, GU22 9BA
English Horn, Style D Trumpet, Tuba Horn, Diaphonic Diapason, Tibia Clausa I, Tibia Clausa II, Saxophone, Orchestral Oboe, Oboe Horn, Kinura, Clarinet, Gamba, Gamba Celeste, Viole d’Orchestre, Viole Celeste, Quintadena, Flute, Flute Celeste, Vox Humana + Electronic Piano
Opus Number: 2220
Model: Style Sp 3m (Granada MKII)
Current Transmission System: Solid State
Original Location: Granada Cinema, Welling
Original Opening Date: 22nd November 1937
1937: The Granada Welling opened on the 22nd November with H. Robinson Cleaver at the console.
1975: The Granada was tripled and the Wurlitzer was retained but not used due to complaints about the noise.
1983: on the 30th of July the Granada closed and the Wurlitzer sold to the London and South of England Chapter and was removed by the technical team under the leadership of Mr Les Rawle.
1994: The Project to install the Wurlitzer In the Leisure Centre, Woking began. Three chambers especially build to house the organ; Main & Solo plus a small chamber in the middle to house the Traps, Glockenspiel and Xylophone, and it also accommodated the Wurlitzer relays. The Blower was to be kept outside the rear of the hall.
1995: The opening concert took place in August with Len Rawle at the console.
1995-1998: Extra chests were installed in each camber and the following ranks were installed; Style D Trumpet, Tibia Clausa, Orchestral Oboe, Oboe Horn, Viole d’Orchestre, Viole Celeste, Flute Celeste & Vox Humana. Some of the ranks were wired into the Wurlitzer relays and played from the piano tabs which were not in use.
1998: The decision was made to create a second stop rail to fully unify the Wurlizter. This meant a total re-build and the introduction of a multiplex system – Designed By Bill Walker. The work was carried out in four weeks.
2003: A Quintadena was sourced and added.
2004: Clarinet and Kinura were sourced and added, binging the organ to what you see/hear today.
Note: All the additional pipework was supplied by Bob Mayes who couldn’t say where the pipework was originally from – However the Viole is marked ‘Echo Chamber’. It thought then the additions are from very large and early Wurlitzer.
(Ranks from shutters backwards)
Style D Trumpet
Chrysoglott, Xylophone, Glockenspiel, Traps/Effects