Apollo, Hammersmith, London
5 Queen Caroline Street, Hammersmith, London, W6 9QH
Currently no events planned at this venue
Trumpet, Tuba Horn, French Horn, Open Diapason, Horn Diapason, Tibia Clausa, Clarinet, Orchestral Oboe, Cello, Violin, Violin Celeste, Salicional, Concert Flute, Stopped Flute, Vox Humana
A Number: 136
Current Transmission System: Compton Relays
Original Location: In Situ
Initial Opening Date: 28th March 1932
1932: On the 28th March the Gaumont Palace, Hammersmith opened with Leslie James at the Compton.
1932 – 1944: At some point between these two dates the Krummet was swapped for an Orchestral Oboe from the Pavilion Shepherds Bush.
1963: The Theatre re-named Odeon
1992: The cinema became the Apollo. At this time the console was removed to allow lift to be used for a production of “Joseph and the amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat”. This breached listed building regulations, and the London Borough of Hammersmith required it to be reinstated.
c2000: The console was restored by David Pawlyn.
2007: Taylor-Hammond Associates were awarded the contract to restore the Compton and, most importantly, re-connect the console to the chambers. This work was completed in July. At the same time a new lift was installed to enable the console to be brought up to stage level.
SOLO CHAMBER – Right of Stage
Xylophone, Glockenspiel, Chimes
ACCOMPANIMENT CHAMBER – Left of Stage
Note: The Horn Diapason is actually and Hill, Normal & Beard Rank from the Capitol Haymarket which Compton dismantled in 1930.